ntpd been demoted

Hi there
"chrony replaces ntpd as the recommended NTP server in Ubuntu 18.04". But it doesn't seem that the monitoring agent recognizes chronyc , or does it ?
Instead of monitoring the service why not monitor the system clock and set an alert if the time drifts more than x minutes from whatever ntp.pool you chose ?

Comments

• edited August 2018
    Hello,

Our agent should be able to detect if chrony is running or not, to test it out yourself you can run these commands via ssh on your server:
    echo $(systemctl is-active chrony)
    or
    echo $(systemctl is-active chronyd)
    The result should be 'active' if it is running or 'inactive' if it's not running.

Instead of monitoring the service why not monitor the system clock and set an alert if the time drifts more than x minutes from whatever ntp.pool you chose ?

Because it's a general service monitor, not a specific NTP monitor, so it must be able to check if any of the user specified services are running or not, it cannot be specific just to NTP time checking.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

• Hi Robert,

First thank you for your prompt reply.

Seeing your code line I realized my mistake. I gave the name of the control (chronyc) of the service instead of the service name. It's Ok now.

I understand very well your answer to the 2nd point. No question about it.

On the other hand, DNS and time (bcoz kerberos) are more than 80% of the network problems. Having DNS up does not mean that names are resolved; same for NTP, it doesn't mean that the server is actually synchronized.

So take it just in when you review the user wish list. Getting the UTC time of the machine should be pretty much distro independent.
    For the DNS, local machine caching might be a problem...

Anyhow thanks.
    Eric